Outer Heaven
Welcome, you have just downloaded a virus. Thank You!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crooked Lotus

PostSubject: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

This build runs strong creatures that are commonly found in Boss Naya, with some slight variations.

But this build isn't exactly "The Boss", thus the name: Assitant Manager. Suspect

The Deck:

PLANESWALKERS -2
2x ajani vengeant

CREATURES -25
4x loam lion
4x goblin guide
4x wild nacatl
4x knight of the reliquary
4x bloodbraid elf
3x ranger of eos
2x baneslayer angel

INSTANTS -4
4x lightning bolt

SORCERIES -4
4x rampant growth

LANDS -25
4x arid mesa
4x misty rainforest
2x terramorphic expanse
3x rootbound crag
3x sunpetal grove
4x forest
2x mountain
3x plains

SIDEBOARD -15
2x basilisk collar
1x behemoth sledge
2x stoneforge mystic
4x cunning sparkmage
2x qasali pridemage
2x path to exile
2x oblivion ring

--------------------------------

This build strays slightly from the traditional Boss Naya, in that it has a whopping twelve 1 drops, maximizing the Ranger of Eos engine.

I dropped the traditional Boss 1 drops that focus more on mana acceleration with Noble Heirarch and Birds of Paradise, in favor of higher power and toughness critters.

Red has Goblin Guide
Green has Wild Nacatl
White has Loam Lion

The object is to capitalize on the early game with high density threats and then push the remaining damage through with Bolts, Ajani Vengeant's 2nd ability, Baneslayers or reloading with Ranger of Eos.

Another card that may seem strange is Rampant Growth.
The reason for this is because of the basic land requirements found on Wild Nacatl and Loam Lion.
Not only does Rampant Growth accelerate your mana, it smooths the lands needed to get full boost from the kitties. This would be my miser slot at the moment and I'm considering Explore, should they proove weak.

Card Advantage is very abundant in this deck:

Knight of the Reliquary
Bloodbraid Elf
Ranger of Eos
(and Stoneforge Mystic after sideboarding)

The biggest red flag I initially see is trying to get the basic Forest, Plains and Mountain in play to keep the Kitties happy. And to help solve this, I decided to run Fetchlands, KotR and Rampant Growth.

Ajani Vengeant and Lightning Bolt provide removal and help clear a path to the red zone.

The sideboard transforms the deck into something more similar to Boss Naya, with the Sparkmage/Collar/Stoneforge package and provides additional answers to problem cards with Path to Exile, Oblivion Ring and Qasali Pridemage.

Lastly, I could use some help on tweaking the manabase. Keep in mind that KotR and Rampant Growth will smooth out this issue and I really don't like running Terramorphic Expanse if I can help it.....

This is a first draft and any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lance20XD6

PostSubject: Re: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Well first off KoTR isn't card advantage, and the way you have your lands he isn't really even that good for this deck. The people that run KoTR usually use him as a sort of superman because he can get you whatever you need at the time with man lands, one shot critter protection with steppe, or an answer to opposing man lands with a singleton tectonic edge.

Secondly if you want to maximize power with one drops you are missing the best 1 drop in std, Steppe Lynx. And just look at how well he goes with this deck. KoTR, Rampant Growth, 8 fetches and 2 pseudo-fetches. People constantly underestimate this card because without a land drop he is a 0/1, but just trust me and test him out in the deck. I promise you will not be disappointed.

As far as the overall idea of your deck it looks like it has a decent early game but the mid-late game look too weak. You will most likely end up siding out 1 Drops and siding in your Mystic package in nearly every match. But if you like it how it is I would suggest another Ranger since that is what the deck is based on and 1 Scute Mob.

My suggested manabase would be:
4 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Raging Ravine
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Sunpetal Grove
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Terramorphic Expanse

This manabase maximises your KoTR and still allows you to get your colors consistently. These are just my suggestions and it isn't like I have any pro points or anything to back up my opinion. Just remember the most important thing in building a deck is enjoying the playstyle so you know you will be playing it for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eurekafox
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

First off I like the theme of the deck, Lance did make some good points though. The Scute Mob should be in there as a card they must have an answer too and being able to fetch it up is nice. As for steppe lynx I think he is good but to conditional for what the deck is going for. As Adam mentioned he dropped cards that would power out other cards i.e. Birds/Hierarch for cards that were solid enough on there on. I could see him as a one of though where you could have a surprise 4/5 (or bigger) to deal with. With out a doubt add the 4th Ranger and the Scute Mob imo and I would drop two Goblin Guides, there nice but giving the opponents cards is not. In decks like RDW or RDW (w/Black) they are needed to help the deck go the distance...or rather start the race. In this deck though I think they are better suited to coming alongside the Ranger giving you multiple sources of damage that can help finish the race. The mana base numbers wise is kinda tricky, there's a lot going on which makes for multiple variables to consider. First off you wanna be able to make your Lions and Nacatls bigger and you want to be able to have a Knight of the Reliquary package in there. Here's what my version of the mana base would look like using your decklist:

4 x Arid Mesa
3 x Misty Rainforest
2 x Terramorphic Expanse
2 x Stirring Wildwood
2 x Raging Ravine
1 x Sunpetal Grove
1 x Rootbound Crag
1 x Sejiri Steppe
1 x Tectonic Edge
4 x Forest
2 x Plains
2 x Mountain

Hmmm after going back and copairing mine to Lance's it seems there's only one card difference! Exclamation

There are more ways to go towards though maybe not better but just different. It seems that with the manlands around lots of the Shard decks are running them over the tri-lands. Jund runs Savage Lands, does that mean this deck should run Jungle Shrine? Obviously they are different decks and have different color requirements in different percentages but this may be worth testing since the manlands can be brought out with a KoTR we could drop there numbers to include some. Like I said though just little differences, but hey knowing is half the battle. G.I. Eos!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lance20XD6

PostSubject: Re: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Once again someone underestimating Steppe Lynx. I play him in a deck that only runs 18 lands and I call it my all-star play. Please just test it and you will understand the power. I wouldn't run Jungle Shrine in this. You are going for early beats so any more than 5 citpt lands is counterintuitive to your plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crooked Lotus

PostSubject: Re: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for the ideas and input guys. Regardless of what happens with the deck, it is always nice to have some notes to share/compare and it never hurts to see from another angle. This is what this forum is about after all. -Kudos

I agree about releasing the true potential of KotR. It would only be hurting me in not doing so.

Another funny thing after analyzing all of your good ideas, it basically got promoted from Assistant Manager to .......wait for it........Boss.
Um yeah... rabbit

Scutie is an obvious I overlooked and should reconsider as well.

Steppe Lynx IS very good. Indeed. And this deck does have all the elements to capitalize on it, but I was simply trying to see if there was another route.

Both mana bases look a million times better than what I had posted. It's almost a unanimous suggestion, since you guys were only 1 land different. Lol.

I was just seeing what the 411 was from the Naya perspective. I haven't tapped into the archtype at all, and was just trying to get a feel for it.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)   

Back to top Go down

Assistant Manager (Not the Boss)
Page 1 of 1